"We still have to close my deal on it"
Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M Chu might not direct the film’s sequel.
Variety reports that whilst Jon M Chu has expressed interest in returning for a Crazy Rich Asians sequel, he has not been confirmed as the director.
Last month, news surfaced that a Crazy Rich Asians sequel was in the works. Chu even admitted to laying seeds in the original for a potential sequel by teasing audiences with an ambiguous end credits scene.
“The idea is to tell the story in the next movie,” Chu said, adding that Shum’s appearance in the film was intended to be a cameo. “I made a promise to Harry, so I’m going to do it.”
Characters played by Gemma Chan, Harry Shum Jr, Chris Pang, Sonoya Mizuno and Pierre Png are expected to be built upon in the next film.
Kevin Kwan, who wrote the book that the film was based on, wrote Crazy Rich Asians as part of a trilogy. 2015’s China Rich Girlfriend and 2017’s Rich People Problems followed on from the original story. Warner Bros has the option to complete the series on screen.
However, Chu has now revealed that no deal has been sealed confirming him as the director of any potential sequel.
While he is reportedly on board, Chu tells Variety it’s not official yet. “I’m down to do the next two movies,” Chu said at the Palisades Village opening gala on Thursday. “We’ve been talking a lot about it, but we still have to close my deal on it.”
Crazy Rich Asians was largely considered a success, beating previous estimates and topping the US box office during its opening weekend, earning $34m. To read our review of the film, click here.