Euro 2016: UEFA takes action against Russia following England match violence

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
Threads

UEFA has engaged in disciplinary proceedings against the Russian Football Union following the violence at yesterdays England and Russia Euro 2016 match.

The BBC claims that footage from the event appears to show Russian fans rushing at England fans after the match came to a close. Consequently, Russia has been charged for crowd disturbances, racist behaviour and setting off fireworks.

According to the Telegraph, an English fan has been left battling for his life.

The footballing body has acknowledged issues with the segregation of fans and has promised that security will be strengthened. Vitaly Mutko has said that the UEFA has done the right thing by starting the disciplinary case, “it’s the right thing, there were flares, there was a flare gun, there had been clashes in the stands, it’s necessary to sort all of this out,” he said, according to R-Sport news agency, “The fans were rooting greatly, but there are people who do not come for the football.”

Witnesses have said that the violence began after Russian fans let off flares and then climbed across the barriers to attack fleeing England fans.

UEFAs statement expressed “utter disgust for the violent clashes that occurred in the city centre of Marseille, and its serious concern for the incidents at the end of the match inside Stade Velodrome… this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and has no place in football.

Sanctions are set to be decided at the disciplinary meeting on Tuesday, after the Russians are expected to submit written statements and evidence.

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
Threads

Stay Connected

Latest news

More From Resonate
Miss Universe 2025 chaos deepens as co-owners Jakkaphong Jakrajutatip and Raúl Rocha Cantú face arrest warrants in Thailand and Mexico
With 65 dead and hundreds missing after a catastrophic Hong Kong apartment fire, the 2025 MAMA Awards moves forward despite
Record-breaking ticket sales and star power define SGIFF 2025, as Shu Qi’s 'Girl' opens the festival and sold-out screenings signal
At least 55 people have died in Hong Kong’s Tai Po fire, the city’s worst in decades. Here’s what happened
'Rush Hour 4' is officially moving ahead — thanks to Trump’s intervention — as Paramount and Warner Bros. reignite the
Michael Jai White has made history as the first non-Asian to receive the prestigious Bruce Lee Award at the 2025
SGIFF GM Jeremy Chua says the festival aims to be a “stepping stone” for Asian directors, spotlighting emerging voices beyond