Gay app Grindr introduces ‘Kindr’ to fight discrimination, featuring Asian American men

Gay app Grindr has introduced ‘Kindr’ to fight discrimination and champion diversity. Grindr, the popular gay app, has launched a new initiative called ‘Kindr‘ to fight against abuse and bullying on its platform. A new zero-tolerance harassment policy has been updated on its community guidelines, banning “bullying, or other forms of toxic behavior.” Accompanying the initiative is a video campaign that…

Read More

Korean parents are hiring tough ‘uncles’ to protect their children from school bullies

Korean parents are hiring intimidating ‘uncles’ to protect their children from school bullies. According to AllKpop, parents in Korea are hiring tough-looking ‘uncles’ to protect their children from school bullying. A recent report by Chosun Ilbo found that the ‘Uncle Service’ is a growing business. Three package are offered in the ‘Uncle Service’ – the ‘Uncle Package’, the ‘Evidence Package’, and the…

Read More

Feature: Bigger And Better Then Ever, Chinese Community Challenge Cup 2018

[dropcap size=big]F[/dropcap]or the past two months the UK has been suffering an unprecedented heat wave. Active people around the country suffered in the unbearable heat, but it was as if the universe knew that the Chinese Community Challenge Cup was, once again, back on the schedule of 5-a-side teams around the country. The biggest sporting event of the summer (no, not…

Read More

California nurse discovers new colleague is a baby she cared for 28 years ago

A nurse in California has discovered that her new colleague was once a baby she looked after almost three decades ago. CBS reports that California nurse Vilma Wong was recently reunited with a baby she cared for 28 years ago. Wong, 54, had looked after Brandon Seminatore after his mother’s emergency C-section. Now, he has returned to the hospital as a…

Read More

Asian American consumers are growing faster than general population

Asian American consumers are growing faster than the general population in terms of buying power. According to Nielson’s Asian-Americans: Digital Lives and Growing Influence, Asian American consumers are the fastest growing ethnic group since 2000 in terms of buying power. In 2017, Asian American buying power reached $986 billion and it is expected to reach $1.3 trillion by 2022. Nielson’s report believes that Asian…

Read More

FEATURE: Reclaiming Yellow – What does it Mean to be Chinese?

[dropcap size=big]I[/dropcap] have always been proud to be Chinese. Growing up in Britain during the 1990s, surrounded by a mix of Chinese family, friends of mixed ethnicity, and generally accepting people all round, it was not something I felt I needed to defend or actively promote.  It wasn’t until I went to university, and came into contact with a wider public,…

Read More

The Frank Soo Chinese Community Challenge Cup 2017 Is Back

The Frank Soo Chinese Community Challenge Cup is once again back but this year the tournament has gone bigger and better than ever before! This year sees Manchester being chosen as the city to host the inaugural North tournament, while London remains the host of the South tournament, at its new home in Shepherd’s Bush. The Manchester tournament was a fiercely…

Read More

FEATURE: An open letter to my non-Filipino friends who’ve read “My Family’s Slave.”

Alex Tizon’s long-form essay depicts the heart-breaking story of the life of a Filipino family’s domestic worker. But before you rage, you might wanna keep your opinions in check. **Disclaimer: this Filipino writer does not, by any means, condone slavery.** Hey. You. Have you read that article yet? You know, the one that exposed modern-day slavery happening right under the noses of the…

Read More
Chinese Progressive Association Joins “Fight Racism, Raise Pay” Protests

FEATURE: Chinese Progressive Association Joins “Fight Racism, Raise Pay” Protests, Marking Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s Assassination

On April 4, 2017, the Chinese Progressive Association in San Francisco, an organization that organizes the working class Chinese immigrant community in San Francisco, marched in solidarity with the “Fight Racism, Raise Pay” protests in 24 cities across the United States, alongside Fight for $15, SEIU – United Service Workers West, Black Worker Center, the Movement for Black Lives, East Bay…

Read More